This is a great question I get a lot from our brides. You may be thinking, “What would a photographer know about planning a wedding??” A lot. I mean…A LOT. I’ve been to quite a few weddings and let me tell you, when your day gets behind it’s your photography which will suffer. There is pretty much only one time during your day when you have the least bit of what is considered “downtime” and that is the time you scheduled for creative portraiture between your wedding and your reception. Guess what happens to that very time when your day runs behind? Yep. You guessed it. So do I know a little about this? Maybe.
Most brides figure they can’t afford a wedding planner or they are simply not having the kind of a wedding day which would require a professional planner. Wrong. I have known and worked with quite a few in my day and I have to tell you, if you’re not considering taking advice from a professional planner you just might be missing out on inside deals, crazy amounts of well-informed advice and ideas you never even considered…and why would you?? Most of you have never done this before! So is it so hard to believe that you might be able to get some good information from a pro?
Here is some very interesting information to keep in mind if you are, or aren’t, considering hiring a planner:
- Some planners actually offer free services. Yes! FREE! Wedding planners have a wealth of information and a lot of them know that one way to spread the word about themselves is to offer some of their advice for free.
- Wedding planners know everyone, yes EVERYONE. The wedding business is a large one and since this is probably the first and last time you’ll be doing this, wouldn’t you like to seek assistance from someone who has done this a time or two? From DJ’s to bands, photographers to videographers, linens to caterers and churches to reception sites…wedding planners know them all and if they don’t, they’ll find out for you. Have you done a recent search on Google for any of the above named wedding vendors? Then you know what I’m talking about when I say it is an endless sea of wedding vastness. Good luck with that.
- Most of the time a good planner will end up saving you more if you actually hire her then if you plan your wedding on your own. They wheel and deal and they can get you the best bargains out there because the people they work with know your planner will be directing future wedding traffic their way and that, my friend, is priceless.
- You don’t have to hire a planner for the whole sha-bang. If you love to plan and have that all in the can, but think you just might want your wedding day off, then hire a planner for the day- of your wedding only. You have spent all year planning this event and because you are the bride, you are also the go-to gal for your wedding day. I guarantee your cell phone will not be your best friend on your wedding day so if you want someone else in charge of strategizing your day and answering everyone’s questions, and yes—there will be a lot of questions that day, then consider hiring a professional just for the big day.
- It’s all in the details. We women…gotta love us. We can walk right by a well-formed, tan, chiseled son of Zeus and not even notice because his girlfriend has on the cutest pair of wedges you’ve ever seen with the most delicious tea length dress, coupled with draping gold hoops and all you can think to yourself is, “Wow, I would not have considered wearing a belt with that the way she is.” We.Love.Details. Planners are all about the details and they are up-to-date on the latest trends, and a good planner is up-to-date on the latest trends everywhere – globally – so you are not repeating all the current trends in your own city. How ‘bout that?? Niiiiiiice…..There are many reasons to consider a planner and each one is a good one. I hear back from our brides all the time and the first thing out of their mouths is “I can’t believe how fast the day went! It was insane!” So if you’d like to keep a bit more of your sanity, you just might wanna consider passing off the insanity to someone else…just sayin’…
Article by Craig Photography.